Keto cornbread is a variety of bread made from cornmeal and is part of South American and Native American cuisine. Dumplings and pancakes made from cornmeal were stapled foods for the Hopi people of Arizona.
However, can cornbread be consumed on Keto? If yes, then is there a Keto cornbread recipe? We will answer all these questions and more in this article.
Is Cornbread Keto-Friendly?
The main ingredient of cornbread is cornmeal, and before we move any further, we need to clarify whether cornmeal is allowed on the Ketogenic diet or not? Traditionally, cornbread is rich in carbs, and it is made from crushing dried corn.
A cup (1/4) of cornmeal contains over thirty grams of carbohydrates. You probably know by now where we are going with this; no cornmeal cannot be part of the Ketogenic diet. However, you can try alternatives, such as swapping the cornmeal with Keto-friendly coconut flour and almond flour. This will maintain the flavor of the cornbread and will have zero carbs.
Keto Cornbread Ingredients
Usually, cornbread is made with coconut and almond flour, as it gives the bread a nice texture and taste. The ingredients of this cornbread are easily available, and you can buy them from your local supermarket.
The first thing you will need is baking powder, and you will also need the following ingredients:
- Almond Flour: This flour is Keto friendly, is low in carbs, and is free of grains.
- Coconut Flour: In baking recipes that use coconut flour, it consumes all the liquid like a sponge.
- Eggs: Large eggs are a staple ingredient for most baking recipes.
- Heavy cream and butter.
- Sweetener (Keto friendly): Add two teaspoons of the sweetener to the cornbread, as it will replicate the natural corn flavor. However, the sweetener can also be skipped, as it is not a mandatory ingredient.
Keto Cornbread Recipe
The recipe for Keto cornbread is simple; you will need to pour all the ingredients in a bowl, thoroughly whisk them, and spread the mixture in an 8 by 8 baking tray or in an iron skillet. Once the cornbread is done and is cool enough, top it with some butter and a sugar-free version of maple syrup.
Keto Cornbread Muffins
You can make delicious Keto cornbread muffins with the same mixture. You will need to pour the mixture into muffin baking trays and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven.
Tips For The Best Keto Cornbread
For better baking results, try the following tips:
Change The Sweetener
The most commonly used sweetener is erythritol; however, you can also use a different sweetener.
Use A Pan That Is Non-Stick
Use a cast-iron pan that is seasoned, or prepare baking trays with a nonstick spray.
Cornbread Browning Too Quickly
If you see the cornbread browning quicker than usual, use a foil to cover the pan.
Cool The Cornbread In The Pan
Once the cornbread is done, don’t remove it from the pan for five minutes, wait for it to cool down. Bread that is Keto friendly or Gluten-free tends to taste better when it is warm. So let the bread cool down before cutting it.
Other Flavors For Keto Cornbread
Ingredients can be added to the cornbread recipe for certain flavors:
- Add chopped bacon, diced jalapenos, and shredded cheese to the recipe if you want your Keto cornbread to be spicy.
- For breakfast, you will need to add some sausages (cooked) in the recipe.
- For a sweet-flavored cornbread, you will need to add blackberries and blueberries (handful).
How To Store And Freeze Keto Cornbread
If you follow the above-listed recipe, your cornbread should last at room temperature in a container for two to three days. You can make the cornbread, freeze it and consume it at a later date.
What To Serve With Keto-Friendly Cornbread
Keto cornbread can be served as a side dish for several Keto-friendly dishes, such as:
- Keto Chili
- Keto-friendly Pumpkin soup
- Low in carbs Broccoli soup
Keto Cornbread With Flaxseed
Flaxseed is an item that can be added to the Keto diet, so if there is Flaxseed in your pantry, you can add it to the cornbread recipe. The Flaxseed will give the cornbread a nutty flavor; it will also boost its fiber content and a nice texture.
Keto Cornbread With Corn Extract
If you want your cornbread to have a natural corn-like flavor, you can add sweet corn to the recipe. This ingredient will enhance the flavor of the cornbread recipe.
Try These Keto Recipes For Lunch
These turkey-cheddar roll-ups consist of a tortilla filled with turkey and a variety of cheese. Normally, people use cheddar cheese, but it is recommended to switch up the cheese and add dill Havarti and provolone cheese.
- How to do it? Roll three thinly cut slices of turkey in a tortilla along with three slices of cheese.
- What to add? You can add cucumber slices, almonds, blueberries, and ½ avocado.
- Net Carbs? These roll-ups contain thirteen grams of net carbohydrates
Hard-Boiled Egg Snack Plate
Many people enjoy a hard-boiled egg, especially during breakfast. To make a hard-boiled egg snack plate, boil a large batch of eggs, peel them and add salt and pepper.
- How to do it? Boil two hard-boiled eggs
- What to add? You can add Cucumber slices, ½ avocado, string cheese, French onion dip.
- Net Carbs? Total net carbohydrates: nine grams
Zoodles And Meatballs
This recipe is easy to make and is a combination of zoodles and pre-cooked meatballs.
- How to do it? Just mix pre-cooked meatballs with zoodles, and you’ll be good to go.
- What to add? Add lemon juice, olive oil, cheddar cheese, almonds (roasted), and Babybel cheese.
- Net Carbs? Total net carbohydrates: Eight grams
Pre-cooked chicken sausages are a fantastic keto cornbread-approved lunch. Chicken sausages are available in different flavors, such as Italian herb and spicy andouille, so a few options are available for you to try.
- How to do it? Just buy a package of pre-cooked chicken sausages; they are easily available in stores.
- What to add? Try to add ingredients such as French onion dips, almonds, Guacamole, and radishes.
- Net Carbs? Total net carbohydrates: Eight grams.
Pepperoni Picnic Box
One of the easiest ways of consuming Keto is through grazing, using meat, vegetables, and cheese as a combination, and eating it as lunch.
- How to do it? No recipes here; use your imagination
- What to add? Pepperonis, ½ avocado, celery sticks, cubed cheddar cheese, and French onion dip.
- Net Carbs? Total net carbohydrates: Seven grams
Is The Keto Cornbread Diet Beneficial?
Cutting carbohydrates from your diet is one of the most effective weight loss techniques, as this methodology is also backed by scientific evidence. Studies show that people who follow a diet low in carbohydrates tend to lose weight faster and more efficiently than people who follow a low-fat diet.
Diets low in carbs tend to rid the body of excess water, which leads to a decrease in the insulin levels in the blood and rapid weight loss; in fact, you will lose weight in less than two weeks.
Research conducted on obese individuals concluded that a low-carb diet was more effective for the first six months than traditional weight-loss diets. A 12-month study on 609 obese adults who were either on low-carb diets or low-fat diets concluded that both diets led to a seven-pound decrease in the weight of those adults.
However, not all fat in your body is the same; what is essential is the places in your body where fat is stored. There are two varieties of fat: subcutaneous fat below your skin and visceral fat that can be found in the abdominal cavities of obese individuals.
Visceral fat can also be found around other organs, and excess visceral fat can lead to illnesses such as heart diseases, cancer, insulin resistance, and inflammation. To cut down the fat in your body, the most appropriate solution is to follow a low-carb diet such as Keto.
Studies have also shown that the Ketogenic diet decreases the risk of type-2 diabetes and heart illnesses over time. However, will the Keto diet work for you? If you follow the keto cornbread diet step-by-step and can maintain the Ketosis, then, in the long run, you will see changes in your body.
Three Day Sample Meal Plan
- Breakfast (Egg muffins with veggies and tomatoes)
- Lunch (Chicken salad, feta cheese, olives, a side salad, and olive oil)
- Dinner (Salmon along with asparagus cooked in butter)
- Breakfast (Basil, egg, tomatoes, and spinach omelet)
- Lunch (Peanut butter, almond milk, spinach, stevia milkshake, sliced strawberries, and cocoa powder)
- Dinner (Salsa and cheese-shell tacos)
- Breakfast (Coconut, blackberries, and nut milk chia pudding)
- Lunch (Avocado shrimp salad)
- Dinner (Salad, broccoli, parmesan cheese, and pork chops)
In this article, we have discussed whether there is such a thing as Keto cornbread and how to make it. We have also established that cornmeal, the main ingredient of cornbread, is not Keto-friendly, and so you will need to use keto-friendly substitutes such as almond and coconut flour to make cornbread.
Towards the end of the article, we have discussed the benefits of keto cornbread and have also shared a three-day Keto meal plan.