Nurturing Body, Mind, and Workspace: Dr. Liza Egbogah’s Entrepreneurial Wellness Strategies

by Jerome Knyszewski
Liza Egbogah

"Sleep hygiene: the key to unlocking the life I love."

“Step into the world of Dr. Liza Egbogah, a leading expert in body and posture care, as she unveils the secrets behind her entrepreneurial success. Beyond business strategies, Dr. Liza shares how mindfulness, healthy eating, a positive workspace, and good sleep have played pivotal roles in her journey. In this interview, discover the practical ways she blends these elements for a well-rounded and fulfilling life.”

Name: Dr. Liza Egbogah
Company: dr. Liza shoes

Check out more interviews with entrepreneurs here

Table of Contents

Thank you so much for joining us. Please introduce yourself to our readers.

Liza Egbogah: My name is Dr. Liza Egbogah and I am one of North America’s leading Body & Posture experts. I am a Chiropractic doctor and the manual osteopath of choice for political leaders, CEOs and A-list celebrities.

I am also the founder of the dr LIZA shoes, a line of shoes meticulously designed for painless all-day wear, as well as posture-friendly dr LIZA bags.

As an entrepreneur, how do you incorporate mindfulness or spiritual practices into your leadership style? Can you share an instance where this approach significantly impacted your business decisions or team dynamics?

Liza Egbogah: As a doctor who takes a hands in approach to healthcare and wellbeing, mindfulness is at the core of what I do. My mindfulness practice includes taking the time each day to check in with myself but also with others.

This usually involves an empathetic approach where I’m being mindful of what others may need and how I can be of help in providing this. This is easy in clinic as patients are coming to see me specifically for this but I also take this approach with my company dr LIZA shoes.

This is the foundation of my designs that are made to improve the lives of women, in our customer service, and in how I work with staff and partners. I do believe that if we are mindful of others and how we can improve not only our own circumstances but those of others, then we are practicing and leading with mindfulness.

Balancing a busy professional life with healthy eating can be challenging. What strategies or habits have you adopted to ensure your diet supports both your body and spirit, especially under the pressures of entrepreneurship?

Liza Egbogah: I do feel that what we eat has a large impact on our overall health and how we feel, so I do ensure I am eating well.

I subscribe to a weekly organic food delivery service where I get a bucket of fresh organic local produce, fish, meat and eggs and this accounts for most of what I eat. I use the 80/20 rule where 80% of the time I’m eating clean and the other 20% of the time I eat whatever I feel like.

Food can be a great source of joy so I think that everything we eat should be delicious and 80% of the time that’s healthy food that ensures I get the fuel and nutrients my mind and body need and the other 20% is just pure love with no regards for nutritional value.

How have you transformed your workspace to enhance focus, creativity, and inner peace? Do you have any specific routines or environmental changes that have made a significant difference in your workday wellness?

Liza Egbogah: One thing that I consider essential for my workspace is natural sunlight. I find that natural light offers a sense of peace and that I do my best work when I’m surrounded by light. Having a beautiful healing environment is also key as I want my patients to feel better as soon as they walk into my space.

This includes the decor, the smell, music, the air flow—essentially each of our senses should be positively stimulated. I find that this not only helps my patients feel better but helps bring joy to my day and create a sense of fulfilment.

I incorporate this same set up at my shoe office which can make mundane activities relatively enjoyable.

Having a positive light environment helps to inspire me and also provides energy. A lot of what I do involves giving energy so it’s very important to work in surroundings that also provide energy. This makes a huge difference on my workday wellness and I find that at the end of the day I feel good rather than drained.

Quality rest is crucial for peak performance. What sleep hygiene rituals do you follow to maintain high energy and clear thinking? How have these practices contributed to your success and well-being as a business owner?

Liza Egbogah: I definitely believe that quality rest is crucial for peak performance and I aim to get 7.5 hours of sleep a night. I hit this target 99% of the time regardless of time zone.

Incorporating stretching throughout the day and especially before bed helps to ensure that I’m able to go to sleep comfortably. I also go to bed at the same time every day so I naturally wake up at the around the same time daily without an alarm.

Most evenings I try to be in my bedroom in my bed by 8pm and then go to sleep at 11pm. I know they say that you shouldn’t watch TV in bed or use your phone before bed but I have found this is not an issue for me. I started this 8pm wind down routine in University almost 25 years ago.

Even if I had an exam the next day, I’d make sure studying was done by 8pm and then I’d relax. In my three-hour window I’m usually watching something in the background and I stretch, do some reading and a little bit of work on my phone. Sometimes my son will hang out in my room for a while and tell me about his day. I love this period of connection.

I use a heated blanket before bedtime and keep the room quite cool. This helps promote relaxation and then the heating blanket automatically turns off about 30 minutes after I’ve fallen asleep. Sometimes I’ll also apply a balm (the[fix] relax balm) I make out of essential oils if I’m feeling any discomfort or have had a particularly stressful day. I will usually get out of bed for 30 minutes or so to wish my son goodnight and make sure he’s all tucked in.

Innovation is at the centre of what I do, both at my clinic and with my shoe company. I need to have clear thinking at work to help my patients, make good decisions and be creative in designing.

Without this firm sleep routine I doubt I would be successful since I have achieved most of my success by being innovative, analytical and decisive—all which require clear thinking. Energy is also extremely important since I run my clinic and shoe company while also practicing as a Chiropractor and Osteopath and contributing to media as an expert. I am also a mother to a young child.

This takes a lot of mental and physical energy energy. This is why sleep hygiene is a top priority for me! Without it I wouldn’t be leading the life I’m living now.

Jerome Knyszewski, VIP Contributor to WellnessVoice and the host of this interview would like to thank Liza Egbogah for taking the time to do this interview and share her knowledge and experience with our readers.

If you would like to get in touch with Liza Egbogah or her company, you can do it through her – Linkedin Page

Disclaimer: The WellnessVoice Community welcomes voices from many spheres on our open platform. We publish pieces as written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Community stories are not commissioned by our editorial team and must meet our guidelines prior to being published.

Related Articles