Keto beef stew: A stew usually consists of solid ingredients that are cooked in liquid and served with gravy. A stew can be made of meat or vegetables. In this article, we will focus on Keto beef stew. We will discuss whether beef stew is keto-friendly and, if it is, how is it made? We will also discuss substitutes of beef stew that can be eaten on the Keto diet.
Is Keto Beef Stew Friendly?
In its original form, beef stew cannot be part of the Keto diet, as it is rich in cornstarch and flour. Traditional stew recipes also include sweet and starchy vegetables such as onions, peas, carrots, parsnips, and potatoes. These vegetables are typically not allowed on the Keto diet. However, the good news is there are some low-carb Beef stew recipes that you can make at home.
Tips For Making Stew Meat Tender
Eating stews that have chewy and tough pieces of beef is not uncommon. The best way to avoid this situation is to use the right beef cut.
- Try to use Chuck Roast beef (Trim it and Cube it yourself).
- Let the meat come to temperature half an hour before cooking it.
- Brown the beef in batches.
- Cover the lid of the pot and let the broth simmer.
Buying The Right Cut Of Keto Beef Stew
Most people buy ‘Stew meat’ from grocery stores or supermarkets. However, this type of meat usually has a tough texture. It is better to buy Pot Roast or Chuck Roast beef. These two beef varieties are affordable and flavorful.
Both Chuck and Pot Roast beef develops a tender texture when cooked. However, before cooking the beef, please remove all excess fat; it will barely take two minutes.
Do Not Shock The Beef
Let the beef (Chuck or Pot Roast variety) come to temperature before cooking it. This process can take up to thirty minutes. Cold meat will become tough and will be hard to break. Also, add some oil to the beef pieces.
Do Not Crowd The Pan
Brown the beef in patches so that the flavor is rich and consistent. The exterior of the beef will also be cooked well.
Use the Right Cooking Method and a Little Acid
Add a source of acid (tomato paste) in the pan; it will break down the connective tissues of the beef. Add enough broth to the pan that it can cover the beef.
Keto Beef Stew Recipe
- Calories: 288kcal
- Protein: Twenty grams
- Carbohydrates: Eight grams
- Fiber: Two grams
- Fat: Twenty grams
- Trimmed Beef (Chuck Roast/Cubed): 1 ¼ pound
- Whole Mushrooms (Quartered): Eight ounces
- Celery Root (Peeled/Cubed): Six pounds
- Trimmed Pearl Onions (peeled): Four ounces
- Ribs Celery (Sliced): two to three
- Garlic Cloves (Sliced): Two
- Tomato Paste: Two tbsp.
- Olive Oil, Bacon Grease, or Avocado Oil: Two tbsp.
- Beef Broth: Five cups
- Dried Thyme: ½ tsp.
- Pepper and Salt: To taste
- Take the Chuck Roast beef out of the fridge and let it come to temperature.
- Quarter the mushrooms and keep them aside.
- Wash the vegetables, and put them in a bowl.
- Trim the extra fat off the beef.
- Cut the beef into one-inch cubes.
- Mix two tsp. Of Oil into the beef.
- Place a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over the stove (medium heat).
- Once the pot is hot enough, pour in the olive oil.
- Swirl the pot, make sure the Oil is well spread.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and let them cook for two minutes.
- After a couple of minutes, remove the mushrooms from the pot and add the vegetables.
- Next, brown the beef in batches in the pot, add more oil if you want to.
- Along with Thyme, tomato paste, and bay leaf, put all the pieces of beef in the pot.
- Let the beef cook for a minute.
- While the beef is cooking, slowly add the beef broth.
- Add the rest of the broth, and let the stew simmer.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat, and simmer the stew gently for 1.5 hours.
- To check the tenderness of the meat, insert a fork in it.
- If the meat is tough, let it cook for twenty more minutes.
- Uncover the pot, and let the stew simmer for forty minutes.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
Low Carb Vegetables For Keto Beef Stew
These Are The Best Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Use For The Stew:
- Green Beans
- Summer Squash
When Making The Keto Beef Stew, Do The Following:
- Replace potatoes with less starchy vegetables.
- Use garlic and onions judiciously.
- Use a small number of colorful veggies.
- Add vegetables in the last forty to sixty minutes of cooking time.
Other Varieties Of Keto Stew
Instant Pot Kimchi Jjigae
- Calories: 200kcal
- Serves: Six
- Kimchi: Two cups
- Beef (Fatty cut/Cubed): One pound (453.59 grams)
- Onion (Diced): One Cup (160 grams)
- Shiitake Mushrooms or Mushrooms (Dried): One Cup (28 grams)
- Garlic (Minced): One tbsp.
- Sesame Oil: One tbsp.
- Dark Soy Sauce: One tbsp.
- Gochugaru: One tbsp.
- Cayenne Pepper: ½ tbsp. (Optional/replacement for Gochugaru)
- Gochujang: One tbsp.
- Sugar or Splenda: ½ tsp. Sugar or ¼ tsp. Splenda
- Water: Two cups (500 grams)
- Green Scallion (Chopped/for finishing): ½ Cup (Fifty grams)
- Tofu (Cubed & firmed/for finishing): One Cup (248 grams) (Optional ingredient)
- Dump all the ingredients in the pot or Dutch oven.
- Let the ingredients sit for fifteen minutes.
- Once they are settled, add green onions (diced tofu can also be added).
- Add Salt and Gochugaru to taste.
Low Carb Lamb Stew
- Calories: 190
- Fat: Six grams
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- Carbohydrates: Six grams
- Net Carbs: Four grams
- Protein: 27 grams
- Sugar: Three grams
- Fiber: Two grams
- Lamb Stewing meat (boneless): One pound
- Turnips (Peeled/Chopped): Eight ounces
- Mushrooms (Sliced/Quartered): Eight ounces
- Beef Broth (Can): Fourteen ounces
- Onion Powder: One tsp.
- Garlic Paste: One tsp.
- Pepper and Salt
- Xanthan Gum: Pinch (optional ingredient)
- Parsley (Fresh/Chopped): For garnishing
- Add the turnips, lamb, and mushrooms to a Dutch oven or an instant pot. You can also use a bowler.
- Then, add the garlic paste, beef broth, salt, pepper, and onion powder to the pot.
- Cook on high heat for up to three hours.
- The stew can also be cooked for six hours on low heat.
- Check the seasoning; if you feel like it, add more seasoning to the stew.
- Use a spoon, transfer the vegetables and lamb to a serving dish.
- Add some sauce over the lamb and vegetables.
- If you want the stew to have a thick liquid, add a pinch of Xanthan gum to the liquid once the vegetables and lamb have been removed from the pot.
- Garnish the stew with chopped parsley.
Brazilian Shrimp Stew (Moqueca De Camarones)
- Calories: 294
- Fat: Nineteen grams
- Net Carbs: Five grams
- Protein: 24 grams
- Serving Size: One Cup
- Raw Shrimp (Raw/Peeled/Deveined): 1 ½ pound
- Olive Oil: ¼ Cup
- Onion (Diced): ¼ Cup
- Garlic Clove (minced): One
- Roasted Red pepper (Diced): ¼ Cup
- Cilantro (Fresh/Chopped): ¼ Cup
- Tomatoes (Diced/with Chili’s): One (fourteen ounces)
- Coconut Milk: One Cup
- Sriracha Hot Sauce: Two tbsp.
- Lime Juice (Fresh): Two tbsp.
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- Pour olive oil in a saucepan (medium) and let it heat.
- Sautee onions for a few minutes until they are translucent.
- Next, add the pepper and the garlic to the pan, cook for a few minutes.
- Then, add the shrimp, cilantro, and tomatoes and gently simmer.
- Keep turning the shrimps until they turn opaque.
- Pour the Sriracha sauce and the coconut milk into the pan.
- Cook the mixture until it is heated, not boiled.
- Add lime juice to the mixture.
- For seasoning, add Salt and pepper to taste.
Easy Chicken Cacciatore Stew
- Calories: 335kcal
- Carbohydrates: Ten grams
- Fat: Twenty grams
- Saturated Fat: One gram
- Trans Fat: Twenty grams
- Protein: 39 grams
- Servings: Six
- Avocado Oil: Three tbsp.
- Onion (Diced): One
- Red Bell Pepper (Diced): One
- Garlic cloves (Minced): Three
- Chicken (Boneless/Skinless): Six thighs cut into one-inch pieces
- Diced Tomatoes (Can): One (28 ounces)
- Drained Caper: Three tbsp.
- Dried Oregano: 1 ½ tsp.
- Fresh Basil leaves (Chopped): ¼ Cup
- Pepper and Kosher Salt: To taste
- Take a Dutch oven or a pot and place it over medium heat and pour olive oil in it.
- Add bell pepper, garlic, and diced onions to the pot.
- Sautee these vegetables for around eight minutes and only stop once they have a soft texture.
- Add in the chicken pieces, season them with pepper and Salt.
- Cook the chicken until it develops a brown color.
- Next, add the oregano, basil, capers, and tomatoes.
- Simmer the stew until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. This process will take roughly ten to fifteen minutes.
- Season the stew with Salt and pepper.
- You can serve the stew with a salad or Spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles if you want to.
In this article, our job was to discuss Keto beef stew and its varieties. To an extent, with did our job well. We explained what beef stew is and also discussed a Keto-friendly beef stew recipe. We also shared some useful tips to keep the beef tender.
At the end of the article, we discussed four other types of stews that can replace Beef stew. Keep in mind, all the recipes that we have shared are low in carbs and Keto friendly.